Saturday, April 13, 2013

Last Night At Denny's


When I was attended college, my friends and I would always go to this diner called Omega, order an insane amount of food that was no good for us and take up a table for hours where we would talk (loudly), laugh (obnoxiously) and (usually) everyone would get a turn talking about their issues and the group would attempt to figure out how to help the others. The group of people that went over the years would change (sometimes from week to week), but we always had our constants.

There was our friend, Liz who always had a crazy spell with an ex or a guy who was about to be an ex.

Manny, who was the sweetest effeminate non-gay guy that spent most of college pining for his ex and wondering why girls didn’t like him.

Cassandra, our sane friend.

Then there was me (of course), that was always dealing with a non-relationship with someone that was potentially gay.

Last night felt like I was in college again.

It started out like a pretty normal Friday night, CeeCee and I met up with Darcy (we are kind of friends now, I somehow managed it after Chaps-gate) because she wants us to join her direct selling business. Afterward, we met up with CeeCee’s girlfriend to see a play.

It was pretty hilarious, some people that were involved with our musical were in it and it was good to see old friends. I haven’t seen some people in months and I got called skinny!

I could have ended my night right there perfectly happy, but Prue was having a bad day and we were all kind of hungry so we decided to meet her at a Denny’s (black people!) and lend an ear.

Prue, now playing the role of Liz, proceeded to tell us about her afternoon dealing with an ex that turned out not be as amazing as we’d originally thought…so she took the dog. Her dog, not his…but now she had to figure out what to do with the dog.

Thankfully, there was a solution to some of the craziness and we were all able to laugh (loudly and obnoxiously) at the situation and offer sage advice on her dealings with the current guy. We like him and want him to stick around…we’re just hoping there isn’t any joint custody of dogs just yet.

We didn’t have a Manny, but we did have a Cassandra, whose role was played exceptionally well by CeeCee.

She’s always been our voice of reason so it makes sense that she would be the sane friend out of all us. A few months back, when Stacy and I were ranking our group of friends according to how well we managed our crazy around others (because we all have crazy); CeeCee was number one with Stacy a close second. Me? I was third. Smack dab in the middle of the five of us…but no where near as sane as CeeCee and Stacy were.

Anyway, CeeCee is the sane one that shows her love through her honesty and helping us reign in our crazy when we get dangerously close to the edge.

Her calming voice tone and lasso of truth were used on me last night.

The girls are kind of worried about my (non) relationship with Roger. To be fair, I am pretty sure everyone in my life is worried about my relationship with Roger.

It is gonna take some time to get into what the last three months have been like and Roger fits in there. All you need to know right now is that he is my person.

I got incredibly vulnerable after my apartment was robbed and my conversation with Ralph. After holding him (somewhat) at arms length for the first couple of months, I let my guard down and now I depend on him…a lot more than I should.

Oh, you should know that he’s 20.

And bi.

Once we sat down, she checked in with me once again about our relationship status and gave me her look when I told her we were just friends.

She and Prue started the invention. Well, I should say picked up where we left off with Stacy last Friday night. I believe the Intervention to be a recurring event that will not end until the relationship between Roger and I ends or actually resembles a platonic friendship.

They are just looking out for me and I love them for that, I just need a minute to figure some things out and get my head on straight.

So yeah, I felt like I was in college again last night:

1. I am pretty sure we would have been kicked out of Denny’s due our noisiness.

2. We were eating like metabolisms don’t exist.

And 3. My friends were trying to protect me from a slightly dysfunctional relationship with twenty year-old potentially gay person.

Oh, I should let you know that I saw my first real live homeless person last night. One more thing I can be sure to find in a Denny’s!


1 comment: