Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thrifty Retail Therapy

Ok, so I moved here a little over two months ago and while I have been trying to find my way around and find things to do that are me I have been clinging to my old standard of thrift store shopping. I should let you know that I love thrift stores! I firmly believe that in today's economical and ecological climate, thrift stores will be our saving grace and as a green reccesionista I make a point to seek out a good thrift store whenever I go out of town  and now whenever I move to a different town. Thrift stores are all the same but different and going into a thrift store allows me to feel less intimidated with a new place because you kind of already know what to expect when you walk in. You know you are going to find more than a few ugly sweaters, lamps, old furniture and if you're lucky that hideously cool, awesomely bad piece of art that you might just be able to make work.

When I first moved here I was overwhelmed. Terre Haute was nothing like the metropolis I come from. You have to drive if you want to get anywhere, I rarely see anyone of color and worst of all...the nearest Target is an hour away! So, for the first few weeks when I felt like I was going to burst into tears over this huge life change, and in response to the advice a friend who told me to find something to do that made me still feel like me I drove to one of the thrift stores in town and got lost in the racks of clothing and shelves full of tchotckes. I am embarrassed to admit that within the first month of my being here I visited a thrift store at least 5 times a week and I have a lot of random hideously cool things to show for it (e.g. my ceramic blue victorian boot in my bathroom that holds my makeup brushes)!

Last night I was feeling overwhelmed. I had a long day at work and it looks like the first big project that I got to be a part of might be cut. After my meeting, I drove to what I have to say is the most shoppable Goodwill I have been to in my life (600 South Third St. Terre Haute, IN) and engaged in some retail therapy...reccesionista style! After going through the racks and finding beautiful sweaters and skirts and two beautiful vintage coats I feel much better and the $32 I paid for all of it cost a whole hell of a lot less than a shrink!

To answer your question, yes. I am well aware that buying other people's cast offs won't help me cope with the fact I up and moved to Indiana and the reasons I felt I had to leave (that, my friends, is another post!), but I know that for now it is really great to feel like I can still do things that make me fell like myself as I adjust to this town. This new adventure of mine seemed a lot less strange when I formed a temporary friendship with the lady looking at coats next to me. The sting of the newness of things is quelled just a bit when I feel like I have won because some lady's old coat fits my body and my personality just right. Thrift stores are a constant in life that serve to remind you someone has been there before. That someone had the same taste as you, the same body type as you or maybe even the same zany sense of humor as you and that is when you start to feel a little less alone in this world.

I may not exactly be appreciative of all of the things in my life now, but I do appreciate the sense of solidarity I feel with the super hip chick that donated the electric blue knit coat and I encourage her to continued support of Goodwill's mission.

1 comment:

  1. You're a great writer hun! Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete