Friday, November 25, 2011

Dinner, the swiss way

A few nights ago Sassy had an appointment and I hung out with her kids while she was out. I was running a bit late to get to her house so I was kind of frazzled after making apologies and saying goodbye, the kids and I settled into a night of fun. They drew pictures, watched "Friday" on my phone (it is just so awesomely bad and it takes the right kind of kid to know that!), and played a few board games.


While playing Don't Break the Ice, I pulled out an orange and Sassy's daughter said "Hey! That's not fair!" I was like "Why? Did you guys want some of my orange?" I cut it up thinking about how the kids were comfortable enough to call me on my rudeness-- I should have offered them some. I gave them orange slices which they shoved in their mouths and smiled at me. We continued playing our game and moved onto Othello. I have never played Othello before and Sassy's son taught me. It is a fun game and I had a blast with the kids, but am unsure if an 8 year old's interpretation of the rules will do me any good when playing with adults. (Note to self: have a peer teach me Othello) While his sister and I were playing he asked for dessert. Because I am the world's best sitter, I looked at the clocked (25 minutes before bedtime) and realized that the next day they didn't have school and I said "Sure." They each grabbed a package of those Little Debbie Swiss Rolls and munched happily while we finished the game.

When the time came, they got ready for bed, we read stories and I tucked them in. Sassy came home about an hour later and we hung out for a bit. We were sitting at the kitchen table having a snack and I told her about our night and the kids calling me on my rudeness with the orange. "They ate an orange?" She said, "they never eat oranges for me!" That was when she asked what the kids had for dinner. With what I am sure face a face full of bewilderment, I asked "Umm..didn't you feed them?" This is usually the part of the night where Child Protective Services is called and I am locked up fro malnourishment of minors. Fortunately for me, Sassy is super cool and listens while I explain that they never told me they were hungry and they just asked for dessert and I gave them swiss rolls. "Did you make them share a package?" My lack of eye contact answered her question. I am on fire, Terre Haute, call me for your child care needs!

Just when I thought all hope was lost and I would be looking for new friends, Sassy just cracked up laughing and I joined in. We laughed for a very long times about kids that most likely went to bed hungry under my care. I went home that night comforted by the fact that although her kids might wake up in the morning completely ravenous, she would still be my friend.

The next morning, I received the following text messages from Sassy:
message 1: First word: We had swiss rolls for dinner.
message 2: If u don't know what swiss rolls are, it sounds ok.

Call 1.800.BABYSIT for quality child care and be sure to request me.

No comments:

Post a Comment