Sunday, January 29, 2012

Somethings I Just Don't Understand

OK.

I don’t understand the obsession with this lady.

It seems like you can’t go anywhere in this town without being assaulted by a Vera Bradley print. And yes, I say assaulted because her brightly hued paisley is everywhere. I just left church and no joke, there was a processional of paisley showcased with representation from several generations of women.

I know that it is not just Terre Haute, I first met Ms. Bradley about nine years ago when I was living in the suburbs of my town. I found it odd that teenage girls were schlepping around their grandmother’s handbags and duffels. It wasn’t until a few months later that I found they bought these bags on purpose.

On. Purpose.

Then they opened the outlet mall close to us and I was scratching my head because I didn’t understand how there was a line outside of the Vera Bradley store. I figured that maybe there was something about this lady that I didn’t get so maybe I should check it out. About five minutes later, I realized that I wasn’t wrong and vowed that unless I lost a bet, I would not enter that store again.

If it was just the prints that turned me off that would be one thing, but the stuff is insanely expensive! People sometimes spend upwards of $100 on a bag.

A bag that is not made by Coach.

I do not understand.

I hope that I will never understand.

I have learned that there are companies that make bags to look like Ms. Bradley’s and you can even score knock-offs. Knock-offs?

On a bag that is not made by Coach.

I do not understand.

I hope that I will never understand.

Apparently, Vera Bradley is an Indiana institution because she is from Fort Wayne. That and she created the state flag. Not really, I just figured she had to have done something super cool to charge that much for a bag that is not as cute as it seems (and was not made by Coach). 

Apparently, it doesn't stop at bags. There are wallets, makeup bags, aprons, bulletin boards, luggage, lanyards, umbrellas, jewelry boxes and more things that I probably can't imagine. 

I don't want to take the time to imagine.

By the time I moved here, I had one Vera Bradley item that I actually liked, but I did not come around. It is actually a really cute green tote bag with no design whatsoever and was a gift from one of my interns. By the time I was here a week, I got a green paisley makeup bag courtesy of Sassy. Sassy. She may disown me after this post because the only Vera-free room in her house is her son’s. If I am being honest, I actually like the makeup bag not only because green is my favorite color, but because I prefer loud paisley the way I like my makeup bag…tucked away in my purse only to be taken out at the appropriate time.

Not all of her paisley is loud. I got an apron and recipe box set this Christmas that is green and muted paisley. I actually really like them and I use the apron quite a bit and the recipe box is kind of cute so I put it in my bedroom for perfumes and lotions. I just realize that sentence alone makes me seen like I am fifty years old. That and the fact Pat thinks that I will come around to liking it on my own makes me think that maybe I should stop accepting gifts of Vera Bradley…

Please God, don’t let me understand.





1 comment: