Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cowboy Take Me Away


I was super late to karaoke last Wednesday night and when I arrived everyone was in a frenzy for two reasons:

One: They had all been calling and texting and I was not answering. I’d left my phone at home and though I knew I would be late to karaoke, I hadn’t known that I would be two hours late. They were about to leave and look for me an Mona thinking the both of us were wrapped around a tree.

And Two:

They had found me a cowboy and they couldn’t wait for me to meet him!

From what I could make out from their excited tones (and frantic pointing), he was tall and cute. He also had a great singing voice and he seemed like he would be a nice guy (yes, but does he love the Lord? A true cowboy would.)

I decided to check him out for myself, he was wearing a cowboy shirt and boots so he definitely looked the part (all he was missing were chaps and the ten-gallon hat) and he was super tall and not a bean pole. I could get with this, but I had no idea how I was going to make this happen.

It was my turn to sing and I sang “Proud Mary” which is a crowd favorite and my aim was to impress and I think by the time I was done, I managed to achieve my goal. All the girls were telling me that I should talk to him, but I refused.

A while back I decided that I was done breaking the rules, I had been trying it my way for years and I am going to be 33 in a month and I am still single. Clearly, my way is not working.

So the night went on, others sang, we had a contest that he and his friends won and I was OK with, I visited with Pocket (I totally stole him from the Pink Sweatshirt Posse!) and enjoyed the rest of my night.

At some point, Prue gave a request to the KJ and he announced that I was looking for a cowboy to sing a duet with (Pocket was immediately ready to fill that role. He’s so loyal to his Black Cher) and the girls were very vocal about requesting Chaps, but he wasn’t biting. I was (slightly) mortified and Trix was quick to explain that my friends love and are looking out for me. Also, that they wanted to one day read a happy blog post.

I was in the middle of arguing that they are not always unhappy when Chaps got up to sing and he said “This songs, for you, Tina Turner.” Tina Turner? I sang “Proud Mary” Tina Turner was me! I didn’t know what to say, so I popped out of my seat and plopped n to a chair in the front as he sang John Michael Montgomery’s “I Could Love You Like That.”

The girls were right; he did have a good voice.
When the song ended, I gave him a hug and thanked him and I swear if I were white I would have been red. I am not used to guys being so forward when it came to me. I usually had to pull that out of them or just go for it myself. I knew that he was checking me out throughout the night, but I thought that he would at least attempt a conversation! I have to say that I liked this way a lot better and I was super giddy and touched that when it was my turn, I changed my song to “Cowboy Take Me Away” and I sang it to Chaps. It was super cheesy and super bold, but I had a feeling that he could handle it and when I was done I just winked and went back to my seat.

When I sat down, I saw Prue hand a slip of paper to our waiter and point at Chaps. “What. Did you just give him?” I asked with a strained voice. All Trix said was “Too Late.” They knew that I wasn’t going to make a move and instead of waiting to see if he was going to step up, they gave my number to Chaps. I was freaking out because now he thinks that I made the first move and all the books say that is a no-no. Then I allowed myself to calm down because technically, he made the first move by singing that song that gave me butterflies (baby ones).

In the frenzy of my thoughts, Pocket got up to sing and made a point of saying “This song is NOT dedicated to Lainie. Clearly she has moved on and I am moving on too!” This was happening around the time Chaps and his friends were getting up to leave and they got a kick out of it and even made a comment about me finding a better man. He also said that he texted me and then he left. I was only brought back into the moment by the fact Pocket was singing “Amazed” to every girl in the bar except me and I was left out in the cold trying to figure out a way to win him back.

As the night was winding down, I was anxious to get home and check my text messages and our KJ gave me the last song and I used it to make Pocket love me again. I started out serenading him with “I Will Always Love You,” but at some point he decided to forgive me for “moving on” and it became a duet.

 As I drove home that night, I was glad to be forgiven (and the reigning Black Cher of Pocket’s life), but way more excited for the text awaiting me at home. First thing I did was dive for my phone to read: “Hey u! It’s Chaps. U are very beautiful.

Squee!

I've heard from him everyday since.

Have I mentioned how much I love my girlfriends?

No comments:

Post a Comment