Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Playing Catch-Up Part Two

After my Christmas in New York, my family and I hopped on our much delayed flight back to Chicago where my Uncle and Mona were waiting for us at Midway.

Before heading home, I made sure to visit with Sunny. We walked around my old neighborhood and went to Starbuck’s (my Starbuck’s!) and the boutique where I used to work. The owner was there and we caught up for a bit and I bought a t-shirt, a funky ring and a poster with the map of Paris (kind of obsessed with Paris right now) and he gave me a discount! Yep, gays love me!

Sunny and I got a chance to catch up and we talked about the holy homework I received from Sister Felicia and how long I was gonna wait to get it done. Peter joined us not too long after that and we proceeded to spend way too long catching up and being ridiculous meaning I was not gonna get back home until close to midnight.

I made the journey back to my Hoosier home and started thinking about my day with Sunny and Peter, how much I miss having them, how much I miss having a boutique within walking distance and the soothing rumble of the brown line train in the distance.

I miss it. A lot.

But I really can’t see myself moving back.

While driving, I realized that while I wasn’t looking, I have made Terre Haute my home and I though I didn’t have Sunny and Peter and boutiques and a Starbuck’s that was mine, I do have Sassy, my girls from the show and Mark. I am making new memories with them and though we all can’t read each other’s thoughts and know what’s going on with just one look, I have a feeling that we’re getting there. I also knew that I had my girl’s at the Gap and while I know it is not a boutique, they know me by name, put things aside they knew I would like and give me discounts whenever they can.

And I have a Java Haute that is more mine than the Montrose Brown Line Starbuck’s ever was.

I live here now and I really am OK with that.

Flash forward four months: I do officially live here. It took me a year and a half, but I (finally) got my Indiana driver’s license yesterday. So yes, I am a Hoosier now. But don’t worry, I will try not to assimilate too much…well, I am selling Thirty-One and I don’t wear heels as much. Umm…is it too late to get my Illinois license back?

Love you, Chicago, I just can't keep you!
I spent the drive home trying to figure our ways to make Terre Haute awesome so that I would actually consider staying here long term (more long term than the original two years I gave myself) and all I could keep thinking was add a Target and subtract one Wal-Mart.

Though it was late, the drive home was good. I listened to the Blogess’ audio book (hilarious), did some reflecting and even decided to do my holy homework.

Yep, I called Ralph and asked him to meet me for coffee for the next time I was in town.


No comments:

Post a Comment