Monday, December 5, 2011

"Viva La Fluffy!" or "I Had A Date!"

Fluffy didn't die in vain.

Fluffy is what I named the squirrel I ran over with my car. He taught me a lot, that Fluffy, but the most important lesson I took from his death was that I have to take more risks. So I did and this is what happened:

Last night I went to church with Sassy and the kids and although I made a point to get my Jesus on, I was also scoping the crowd to find that guy, Ted I met a few weeks back. He seemed cute enough and possibly interested in talking to me again, but every time our paths crossed I could not seem to get him alone. After mass, I was hesitating, trying to find a way to stick around and look for him but not be to obvious (c'mon ladies, you know what that's like!) and it didn't look like he was in church so we walked across the street to the parking lot, but Sassy sensed ,my hesitation. I told her that I was looking for Ted and I was going to try to hang out with him. Sassy, amazing friend that she is urged me to stick around while she took the kids home (love her!). I crossed the street (Fluffy would be so proud!) and started a conversation with some people I know in front of the church. Lo and Behold, Ted was one of the last people to walk out! I remained engaged in the conversation I was having all while being very conscious of what he was doing and where he was going...in the most unstalkerly way possible. At some point, I saw him see me and track my movements (I swear, I could hear the national geographic narrator guy in the background) and we started  the conversation square dance. When my conversation ended, his hadn't so I grabbed someone else to talk to  and then I saw him do the same thing! After a few minutes of changing partners and do-si-do-ing we finally ended up facing each other. We exchanged pleasantries and then I said, "I am really hungry, I have to go home and figure out what to do for dinner." (Hint to Ted: Let's go for a bite to eat. Right. Now.) Smart man that he is said "Well, I am hungry too. Do you want to go to dinner with me?' Let me think..."Hells yea!"
So we got into my car and went to the Ruby Tuesday by the mall, because we do live in Terre Haute. We had good food and good conversation and learned that we had a lot of things in common and he appreciated my sense of humor!

I don't quite want to call it a date, because it was dutch and I drove and it happened so fast, I didn't have time to make sure I was still cute or put makeup on, but obviously I was foxy enough to ask out on the spot. Sassy and I call it a quasi-date, because he did ask, we were both a little nervous and I haven't had a date in embarrassingly long time so I am just going to male this count.

On the way back to his car he mentioned that he usually goes to mass with two other friends and afterward they go dinner and I am invited to come next week, I said that sounded like a plan and we said our goodbyes.

I don't know if I have butterflies and I am not like Sally Brown, trying to make Ted my "Sweet Babboo," but I know that I was kinda giddy when I drove straight to Sassy's house to give her all of the details and next Sunday I am gonna make damn sure I look super cute...for Jesus, of course! Who knows what this will or won't turn into, but I am proud of myself for taking a risk (that paid off) and put myself out there for the first time in a long time. Go me!

So no, Fluffy didn't die in vain. Thanks to him, even though I will still be sure to look both ways, I am most definitely going to make crossing the street a priority.

1 comment: